Well, I guess it's about time for me to post something on this great blog that Karen created. My time over here in the desert is coming to a close. The temperatures are high, and the wind is very dry. I have to drink at least a gallon and a half of water a day to stay hydrated. The days are long but the weeks have flown by. The food is not bad at all, but still even good food gets old after awhile. (We did have some excellent honeydew melon this morning which was a delicious change.)
There are some very good things about my life over here. I have a new perspective on the war over here. I have worked very closely with many of the locals, and have seen that they have many of the same concerns that I have. They want a better life for their families. They work hard in austere conditions. They don't have a lot, and while they tend to waste some things, they offer sincere gratitude for others. I have become so much more aware of how richly blessed I truly am.
I have had some incredible experiences as far as sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I have been blessed to be able to visit the site recognized as Abraham's home, and to spend time thinking about his struggles and blessings. In an environment filled with immature profanity, and vulgar stories, I find that my meager efforts to live as I think I should are largely recognized by those around me. For example, my new found friends from Romania all know that I don't smoke, drink, or cuss... and they outwardly respect me for it. I have been richly blessed with opportunities to spend time with some great people who share my beliefs and my standards. I have had time to myself to read and ponder the scriptures in a new light. How thankful I am for the blessings granted to my by our Lord.
I will be able to post more specifics sometime after I come home, but I don't want to close this post before I tell all readers of this blog how much I love and appreciate my beautiful wife. She has been amazing throughout this whole process. I have felt the effects of her faithful prayers. She has managed our household in incredible fashion. Karen, I love you!
7 comments:
I love you so much! Thanks for sharing your experiences with all of us.
Matthew, what an amazing experience. We definitely want to hear more later. And you're such a sweet husband (and a pretty great Bro-in-law too)!
Matt! Glad to hear you are doing well! we miss ya and wanted to say "Thank You" for serving our country! We are so blessed to have great friends like you and Karen! Take Care!
MATT! You are one of my hero's! On friday I went and saw an extensive slideshow from an airman who served over in Afghanistan. He talked a lot about the experiences he had being over there and it really helped me to understand things better. Thanks for your post. It was great to read on memorial day. I would love to sit down and talk with you some day about everything you have experienced and learned. Lately I have been considering working for the government as a career. I'm thinking of probably going into either the FBI, CIA, DOD, or NSA. I guess we will see. That is still a little ways off. Anyway take care over there and I will talk to you soon friend!
you are right, karen is the best. matthew thanks for all you are doing by serving our country. karen write more cuz i miss you.
Matthew...I am glad that you have had such neat experiences while out there. and what a sweet tribute to your wife. Karen you rock! p.s. thanks for the bday card and money that was really thoughtful of you! I'll probably go get a pedicure...you know being prego and all they're that much more appreciated.
Yea! I was wondering when something new would appear on this beautiful blog! I'm so glad you're doing well Matthew. thanks for calling me the other day, sorry I didn't get to answer... work... it always gets in the way. Anyway, I love you! And Karen too. I totally agree with you Matthew, you have an awesome wife!
Post a Comment